LET NOT YOUR HEART BE TROUBLED; NEITHER LET IT BE AFRAID

“Let not your heart be troubled; neither let it be afraid.” (John 14:27)

There are two thieves waiting to ransack your life. These unscrupulous scoundrels will seize upon any opportunity they find, and once given access into the unsuspecting soul they will trash the palace with utter disregard to the value of its priceless treasures. Their names are Hurry and Worry.

“Let not your heart be troubled,” Jesus said. The word he used means to be agitated like boiling water. In other words, don’t be over heated and in a hurry. Jesus went on to say, “Don’t be afraid.” The word here means cowardly and unbelieving. Hurry will trouble your heart, and worry will make it afraid. And both will ruin your life.

What a bizarre pairing they make — inseparably linked in bipolar tension and continually at war with each other. Hurry always runs ahead, while worry lags behind. Hurry is reckless; Worry is cautious. Hurry sees only those things that speed him on his way, while Worry sees only those things that are in the way and are sure to cause a problem.

Hurry never sees the thousands of little things that make life truly worth living. Worry sees nothing but a thousand little things, none of which have anything to do with life at all. Hurry never thinks about the consequences of hasty choices, and Worry never makes a choice at all – for it might be the wrong one.

These two thieves are forever pulling in opposite directions. God pity the man or woman whose is filled with hurry and worry. Oh hear the words of Jesus as He speaks straight to you – “Let not your heart be troubled; neither let it be afraid.”

By James Ryle

About these ads

28 Responses to LET NOT YOUR HEART BE TROUBLED; NEITHER LET IT BE AFRAID

1. Vinnette Gunter says:

I read these inspiring words today. Truly uplifting and are the words God has dropped into my spirit for others as well as myself. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid. St John 14.27 thank you Jesus

2. Harriette says:

This word was so timely especially on a day like to today. My mother started quoting this scripture this morning and I decided to go a step further with it. I went to google and found this site. What a blessing to have read this faithfilled article.

3. Anonymous says:

I try to write things sometimes to ease my own anxiety..tonight I sought out this scripture on google and found your site… I seem to have been overcome with hurry and worry for the past couple of years and seems I’m constantly battling both. Please pray for me to let this scripture sink deeply into my heart. I know it’s a losing battle and I need to stop and be still and put faith into action..because I only get more entangled in problems when I dwell on what’s wrong making things worse.

• Chris says:

Anon,

I understand your problem and I will pray for you. I believe that part of what you are experiencing is universal. The world is a very anxious place these days.

There’s no question in my mind that you are looking in the best place. God’s Word is powerful. I also think it is important to find a trustworthy friend that you can share your anxieties with.

May God be with you…

4. Anonymous says:

That was so beautifully explained and enlightening. Thank you Jesus.

5. Wao!! Now it dawns on me why Jesus spoke these words immediately after telling peter of His coming denial… Hurry to save himself from the angry mob would lead to Denial of Jesus. Worry of being beaten….. I read this piece and something just stopped ticking in me…. HURRY. I will quiten my heart and learn from Jesus the more. God bless for this revelation.

• Chris says:

Dear Morrison,

I’m glad you liked this. They are not my words but it looks like I was right to share them. It has gotten more hits than almost anything else I have posted. People are looking for peace. It can only be found in Jesus.

God’s blessings…

6. Alice says:

True … this is an encouragement today.

7. Alice says:

Just turn your eyes toward Yeshua.

8. Lisa T. says:

I needed these words too. Thank You. Your blog came up when I searched the words to that verse. My heart hurts, and it is because of hurry and worry. Thanks again.

• Chris says:

Hi Lisa.

I am so glad something here was helpful to you. This post is one of the most read on this blog. It seems to be consistently in my top ten posts. We are living in an anxious world. I know that there may be rough waters ahead, but I also know that God will never leave me or forsake me. The Bible has so many verses of comfort. Our God is an awesome God.

You are welcome. You have blessed me today.

9. alicelovers says:

Reblogged this on onepearlake and commented:
    I shared this with dozens of friends today. We need His power to overcome satan’s evil plans to torment and interfere in G_d’s work in our lives. Let Yeshua bring victory to your heart and soul today.

• Chris says:

Thank you for your kind wishes, Alice. From your comments, I am guessing that you are a messianic Jew. If you have looked at much of this blog, you will see that I am a strong supporter of the nation of Israel. The covenant that God made with Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob is everlasting without question. Also, I trust in Jesus alone for my salvation. I’m glad that you shared this post with others and I will visit your blog soon.

I checked and saw that you are just starting your blog, Alice. I wish you blessings in your blogging experience.

10. dawnmarie says:

Reblogged this on Take A Look.

11. Anonymous says:

I just bought a necklace with this verse on it. It is very comforting. I wear it everyday.

12. Roberta says:

Hi,
    One year ago today was the last day I saw my mother alive. She died a few weeks later, Jan 15th. This was one of her favorite verses, so I looked it up and found your blog. We always read the word “troubled” in the sense of despondency and depression, which goes hand-in-hand with fear, especially fear of not being able to make it through the depression.
    (She also liked, “His Eye is on the Sparrow”, which gives reassurance that He won’t abandon us.)
    Whatever nuanced word Jesus used, I think the verse works well using this definition of “troubled”. Been feeling pretty depressed lately, but I know Mom would recite this verse to me for encouragement.
    Thanks,
    Roberta

• Chris says:

Welcome Roberta.

I’m glad you found my blog. This post is consistently in the top ten for the reason you’ve given. We are all troubled at times and the best place to turn is to God’s Word for strength. Your Mom would be glad to know that you think of this verse. The Bible also tells us that He will never leave us or forsake us. I always turn to the Sermon on the Mount when I get down. The verses about “do not worry about your life” are extremely helpful.

Anyway, your wound is still open it seems. Grieving takes some longer than others. I wish you the best Roberta. I will remember you in my prayers.

God’s blessings…

13. theywhoseek says:

Chris, I would love to make a poem out of this with your permission. I just love it and will give you credit for the inspiration. ~ Blessings ~

• Chris says:

As this was composed by James Ryle, whom I give credit to at the bottom, he should get the credit. I haven’t had any complaints about my posting of his work here so I’m guessing he wouldn’t mind as long as you give him credit. This post has gotten roughly 1/15h of the hits on my blog. It always appears to be in the top 10 posts. I can see why you would want to use it for a poem. It “speaks” to many people.

You know how much I like your work. I hope you do use this post to make a poem. I think you will do something wonderful with it.

May God bless you and yours, Deborah Ann.