1. Realize that sin is present in all families. Even the “best” families struggle with sin. But certainly the more unrepentant sin, the worse the environment and consequences.
2. It is not a random accident or “bad luck” that you were born into your specific family. Just as God appoints political leaders (Romans 13), he weaves us in our specific mother’s womb (Psalm 139). God has you there for a purpose just as he placed Joseph in his “dysfunctional” family for a higher purpose (Genesis 50:20).
3. God will help you overcome whatever family situation you are in. No family problem is too great for His grace to help you endure and overcome. “…where sin increased, grace abounded all the more” (Romans 5:20).
4. The first step to overcoming a sinful upbringing is to become right with God through Christ. “For whatever is born of God overcomes the world; and this is the victory that has overcome the world—our faith. Who is the one who overcomes the world, but he who believes that Jesus is the Son of God? 1 John 5:4-5
5. The next step is to be “transformed by the renewing of your mind” — be daily in the Word and controlled by the Holy Spirit. You can either look at your sinful family as a hopeless disaster or you can see it as an opportunity to proclaim and display God’s gospel and love for others and as a means of your personal sanctification. “Therefore I urge you, brethren, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies a living and holy sacrifice, acceptable to God, which is your spiritual service of worship. And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may prove what the will of God is, that which is good and acceptable and perfect.” Romans 12:1-2 – See more at: http://thechristianworldview.com/tcwblog/past-shows#sthash.5eBc5sWU.dpuf
Excerpt taken from David’s recent show “How God is Undaunted by Man’s Sin“, an interview with Josh McDowell).
Author: David Wheaton